Your living room is the perfect place to display your original personality and style — and one of the best ways to achieve that is through the selection and placement of unique living room art.
Often the largest area of the home, your living room is designed for socializing, entertaining, and, above all, relaxing. If you want to create a welcoming and comforting environment for both you and your guests to enjoy, your choice of artwork is an important piece of the puzzle.
As the largest room in your home, you’ll have plenty of space to work with and plenty of opportunities to reveal your personal taste. But those factors can also feel challenging and leave you confused about the best option for such an integral space.
Where Should I Hang Living Room Art?
First things first: Before you begin pulling together your collection of unique living room art, you’ll need to decide where to put it. And that means taking a step back and figuring out what the focal point of your living room should be.
The focal point of a living room is the central point or area that draws the eye and anchors the space. A fundamental interior design principle, it’s typically the first thing people notice when they enter a room and the point of interest around which the rest of your interior design scheme should revolve.
Designers always advise designating a focal point in your living room because it helps to bring visual interest and balance to the space. A well-designed focal point creates a sense of harmony and cohesion in the room, making it feel more inviting and comfortable. It also guides the eye around the room to allow for a sense of flow and movement.
How can you determine what the focal point of your living room should be? You can start by identifying the room’s most visually interesting or striking element. This could be a unique architectural feature, such as a fireplace, built-in shelving, or vaulted ceilings.
It could be a beautiful view through large, unobstructed windows where your eye naturally leads as soon as you walk into the space. Once you’ve identified your focal point, then you can arrange the rest of the room around it, using seating, curated objects, and paint to highlight it.
What to Consider with Living Room Art
Adding art to your living room can completely transform the space, imbuing a vibrant atmosphere that reflects your personal style. Artwork can also add color, texture, and depth to your walls, making your living room feel more polished and complete.
If you’re at the stage where you are ready to select unique art for your living room that feels completely you, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you curate a collection that compliments your space and style.
The Best Ideas for Unique Living Room Art
Once you’ve determined where you want to hang your art, it’s time to think about the type of art you want to display. There are endless options to choose from, including paintings, prints, photographs, sculptures, and mixed media pieces. Consider your personal style and the overall vibe of your living room when choosing your art. You want to select pieces that complement your existing decor and create a cohesive look.
The most important factor to consider? Whatever makes you fall in love! There’s no “right” answer here: Your heart should determine your art. Whether you opt for a traditional oil painting, grid of botanicals, or eclectic gallery wall arrangement, make sure it’s something you will love to look at every day.
See what tugs at your heartstrings from our list of 17 unique living room art ideas.
1. Oversized Abstract Paintings: Up the drama and depth to your living room with a statement piece of abstract artwork. A larger-than-life abstract painting is excellent for above the mantel or behind a sofa. Choose a color palette that complements your furniture and accessories.
2. Vintage Maps: Add a touch of history to your living room with vintage maps from places that are special to you. Hang them in frames or use them to create a unique wall display. Select from illustration styles or a bona fide vintage find scoured at an antique shop or flea market.
3. Sculpture: A three-dimensional work is perfect for adding texture to your space. Choose a piece that speaks to your personal taste and complements the rest of the room. For display, you can mount it to the wall or arrange it on a mantel or shelf. An artful lighting source such as a wall-mounted sconce or grouping of mirrors, plates, baskets, or other objects can function similarly.
4. Gallery wall: Got a lot of wall space to fill? A gallery wall is a tried-and-true decorating trick that packs a punch and definitely fills the need for a focal point. You can choose from several arrangements according to your decorating style, from a neat grid to a more eclectic and contemporary salon-style scheme. If you’ve got lots of pieces you’d like to display, this might be your unique living room art style! From posters and prints to oil paintings and photographs, the more, the merrier.
5. Bold Prints: Bring a pop of color to your living room with bold prints. Choose prints that complement your existing color scheme or create a contrast for a statement piece.
6. Minimalist Art: Opt for minimalist art if you prefer a more understated look. Black and white prints, line drawings, and geometric shapes are all great choices.
7. Watercolor Paintings: Infuse a soft and dreamy vibe into your living room with watercolor paintings. These delicate pieces are perfect for creating a relaxing atmosphere.
8. Textile Art: Add a touch of texture to your living room with textile art. This can include tapestries, woven wall hangings, or even a rug hung on the wall.
9. Mural: Make a statement wall in your living room with a mural. Choose a design that complements your style and envelopes you as soon as you walk in the door. Unsure how to find the right mural style for you? Check out these 10 wall mural ideas and find tips on how to commission artists for truly bespoke living room art.
10. Typography Art: Fan of fonts? Showcase your style in your living room with typography art. This can include word art, letterpress prints, or even custom neon signs.
11. Woodcut Prints: Add a rustic touch to your living room with woodcut prints. These pieces are perfect for creating a cozy cabin vibe. Learn more about wood art and how you can incorporate these organic elements into your home.
12. Mixed Media Art: Get your collage on! Combine different materials and textures to create a unique mixed-media art piece. This can include elements like fabric, paper, paint, and even found objects.
13. Nature Photography: Bring the outdoors inside with nature photography. This can include landscapes, botanical prints, or even abstract pieces inspired by nature.
14. Black-and-White Photography: Go for the classics in your living room with black-and-white photography. This can include vintage photos, abstract prints, or contemporary pieces. Curated family photographs in black and white with matching frames makes for an easy display full of personality and surrounds you with happy memories every day.
15. Pop Art: Add a playful touch to your living room with pop art. This can include prints inspired by pop culture, comic book art, or even custom portraits in pop art style.
16. Contemporary Art: Add a modern touch to your living room with contemporary art pieces. This can include abstract paintings, mixed media art, or even digital pieces.
17. Inspirational Quotes: Whether printed on canvas, framed, or commissioned as a custom neon sign, your favorite slogan can motivate you as you start your day or give your guests a laugh when they walk in the door. Select your favorite font, or let the words inspire you.
What living room art ideas do you gravitate towards? How did you decide what to display in your living room and where did you find your perfect piece? Let us know in the comments.